Thursday, July 07, 2005

The Much Awaited, Long Anticipated, Bee Post


Well, many of you already know this story, but tough, I'm telling it again anyway.

I have also been what you might call afraid of bees. Now I am absolutely terrified of them and anything else that looks like it might sting me or that buzzes near me. I have been given mini heart attacks by many a fly these days.

So, how did I get this new found irrational fear you ask? Well, I'm so glad that you asked.

On June 2nd, I was at the gas station minding my own business, pumping my own gas, when I turned my head just in time to see a big bee flying right at me. This kamikazi bug was heading right for my face!!!! So, I did the only thing I could think of, I turned my face away. I thought that was the last of the bugger. I couldn't have been more wrong.

I finish pumping my gas and I climb into my car. I'm still a little paranoid about the bee, but I'm thinking that it had just flown away. So I'm sitting there putting my credit card away and I feel some pain coming from the back of my neck just over my shoulder. I reach back and pick at it and it hurts. My first thought was, I WAS STUNG!!! Then I tried telling myself that I wasn't stung, that there was no bee. But that didn't work.

Unfortunately, the sting was in a place too far back and I couldn't see it in the mirror to see if it was a real sting or not. Now, having never been stung I started to panic. What if I was allergic?? I mean, I have asthma, I have allergies, it's possible. So I start driving home and trying to tell myself I was not allergic and that it wasn't even a bee sting. Then I started wheezing, got to love asthma. Then I really started panicking. So I took a hit off my inhaler and kept driving trying to think about something else.

So I'm heading towards home and I decide to go to the vet's office and pick up my dog's medication, the one with the bad wound. So I walk into the vet's office about 25 minutes after the sting and I was not feeling well. I walk into the office and I was sweating and my hands were tingling and oh yeah the room was spinning. I walk up to the counter and the woman says, are you ok??? So I tell her that I think I was stung but I can't see it, she takes a look and says oh yeah, that's a sting. Then she says, I think you had better go to the doctor you don't look so good.

Well, there was no need to tell me twice. I took off out of there and went up to the Emergency Room as it was about 6 and my doctor's office was closed. They took me right in and had me put on a johnny, oh the joy. So, I'm sitting there waiting for the ER doctor, who just happened to be cute, after the nurses had already subjected me to some exams. While I'm sitting there, my other shoulder is starting to hurt, so I break out the mirror and what do I see, yeah you guessed it, another bee sting. The doctor comes to see me, looks at my stings, I explain that I only had one when I got there. He tells me that I did the right thing by coming in and he'll be back to check on me.

He comes back 2 hours later and I now have 4 bee stings showing. Yep, got there with one. He looks them all over. Tells me he will be back. I'm starving. 9:30 rolls around, he comes back and asks me how I'm feeling, I show him all 6 stings and he says I think you will be fine. Go home and take Benedryl. So I do what the doctor tells me. It's Thursday night, I go home and take Benedryl and sleep through Friday. I have some faint memories, but nothing really sticks out.

Now I hope you can see why I am so petrified of bees. And by the way, it was a Wasp as they are able to sting multiple times as where a bee cannot. A bee dies after the first sting. I'm pretty knowledgeable in the area of bees. I did some research after this incident.

So you tell me, am I really that irrational? I don't think so.

2 Comments:

Blogger Trouble said...

Apiphobia. Fear of Bees.

Move to the City!

Oh, and you are an extremely rational person.

11:36 PM

 
Blogger LisaBinDaCity said...

You are definitely not irrational! I would be scared to death of bees after that experience.

2:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home