Tuesday, May 09, 2006

One Of My Worst Moments

I can hardly stand to to talk about it, it was so horrible. But here it is. I went outside with my beloved Smokey to take him for a walk and I planned on putting my new license plates on while I was out there. After Smokey did his business, I was going to put him into the hallway in the apartment while I put the plates on, however, the car was right there and I decided to load him into the back seat and then go put the plates on.

So, we walked up to the car and I opened the car door and bent over to pick him up and put him into the back seat. I started to scoop him up as I have done thousands of times when something went wrong and before I knew what was happening he was crashing head first into the ground. Luckily I hadn't lifted him very far off the ground, and I did all I could to get him back down safely when all of a sudden he let out these blood curdling screaming yelping sounds. The sounds were making me sick to my stomach.

I finally got him down to the ground and there he stood with three legs on the ground and his front paw sticking out in front of him while he continued to cry out. I think that my heart actually stopped while we were standing there. He continued to limp around with his paw sticking straight out and crying. I scooped him up ever so gently and put him into the back seat of the car so that I could rush him to the hospital. I shut the door and started walking back to the apartment when I realized that I had to put the plates on.

I checked on him in the back seat of the car and he was just sitting there with his paw in the air. It was the most pathetic looking thing. I took him back out of the car and he was walking around on all four paws with a bad limp and then he went up and down the three flights to the apartment just fine.

Needless to say that I felt so horrible and that I have spent as much time spoiling him as I can and fussing over him. This was the worst feeling and even though he's okay, I've spent the last few days playing the incident over and over again in my mind, wondering what went wrong and wondering why I didn't just put him into the building like I planned. Why? Why? Why? That's what haunts me. I know that he has forgiven me for this incident, why can't I forgive myself?

7 Comments:

Blogger Michelle Flaherty said...

Listen, animals are just about as resiliant as kids. You saw how fast he bounced back so that should be enough for you to let it go. If you don't, you will let it eat you up inside and you can't live life that way.

2:50 AM

 
Blogger Tamara said...

DOn't beat yourself up. This is practice for real life. We can't be perfect all the time. If you had no bad intentions, then forgive yourself.

7:51 AM

 
Blogger marty said...

I agree w/what's been said Leave.

As a child I was dropped on my head many times. And look at me now.

Maybe that's not a good example.

I'm glad Smokey is ok.

7:46 PM

 
Blogger marty said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:48 PM

 
Blogger Michelle Flaherty said...

Practice for real life?! What has Leave been doing all this time?! Living in the Twilight Zone?! Hey Leave, save a seat for me, lol.

9:39 AM

 
Blogger LisaBinDaCity said...

We love our furry four legged friends like family. And Smokey and I know you did not do it on purpose! It's still horrid to see your baby in pain.

I have accidentally hurt Ally before and while she forgave me, I had a hard time forgiving myself. I understand how you feel. Try and give yourself a break though if you can. I KNOW you are a great Mom!!!

6:07 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! blues clues stationery stuff Lexus of mishawaka Digital printing mississippi Ldl levels in diabetics statins efficacy venlafaxine+hcl Disney wide world of sports baseball Chuckold watches gangbangs in bookstores hardcore movies of interracial blondes Photos from harddrive chicago Air soft paintball gun Sundown supplements Vegas nickle slot machines Laughing at my small penis Canada lexus toyota Longhorn council tax id Largest minivan discounts effexor xr venlafaxine xr harveys lake pennsylvania Hardcore indian girl Order soma umax ppc Mens zip front sweater

7:24 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home