Saturday, May 27, 2006

I Have Issues


But don't we all? Do you see the picture of the puppy? I went and played with him today. Yes he is as cute in person as he is in the picture, in fact he is much cuter and so sweet. I helped a family decide which one of two puppies that they should go with and then I named their puppy. I named him Pepper, they loved it. He was a cutie and very sweet too.

So, I mustered up all my strength and walked away. I thanked them for letting me play with the dog and the woman was very sweet and told me to think about it and get back to her. This puppy was born 4 days before Zeke died and I really think that Smokey would like another pet. Every time I mention Zeke he runs around the apartment looking for him.

So, I didn't get the puppy, then I called my father and yelled at him for cursing me with his love of animals and wanting them all. Back in the day, when you could actually do this, my father would adopt a dog, bring it home for a few days, bring it back thereby extending its life at the shelter in hopes that someone would adopt it instead of it being euthanized. Now, my mother is petrified of dogs and my father brought home a different one every week.

My father owes me 4 years worth of birthday presents. He told me to think about it and if I really want this puppy, he'll buy it for me to make up for all the missed years and now I just have to decide if that's what I want.

Let me just say that this puppy was healthy looking, very friendly, very sweet and very playful and now he's all I can think about. My father says to me, it's a big responsibility, um, don't I already have a dog?? Aren't I already taking care of one and don't I know what's involved??

8 Comments:

Blogger marty said...

Can you cope w/2 dogs? Will smokey get along w/him?

Prob other questions to ask.

1:30 PM

 
Blogger Leave It To Cleavage said...

Smokey has always lived with another dog since he was a puppy, this is the first time in his life that he's without a friend. Um, for the last 4.5 years I've had two dogs, one of them being like a full time job. I appreciate your trying to help me think this thru.

1:31 PM

 
Blogger Bob said...

I think you should get the dog. Why not?

I love dogs.

6:07 PM

 
Blogger Leave It To Cleavage said...

Ok, I wrote a comment on my own blog and it ate it. Dammit all. I'm getting really pissed off that my family keeps telling me it's not a good idea to get another dog. I feel like they're trying to control me and it's pissing me right the hell off. I'm 31 years old dammit!!!

6:14 PM

 
Blogger DutchBitch said...

Pfffttt... I would say: don't hold your breath for your dad to buy it for you... he did not really sound like he was gonna do it... did he?

And as far as your family is concerned... Damn' you are a grown up, let them mind their own business. If you want the dog, you get the dog and be happy!!! You deserve it!

1:13 AM

 
Blogger LisaBinDaCity said...

I vote for getting the puppy. As you well know, dogs are the best thing on earth when things are tough. All they want is for you to love them and you will get it back tenfold.

6:20 AM

 
Blogger 2 Dollar Productions said...

It's good to have another dog to play with, but just don't get one of those horrible little dogs, who always squeak and look like overgrown rats.

4:15 PM

 
Blogger Tamara said...

OK, this is my take.

First, the puppy is freaking adorable (if not hairy) :). I think you SHOULD get another dog. There are no accidents. No suprise that puppy was born at the time in which you'd be ready to embrace him. (will share a story in a minute, but first)

I really don't think you should have your dad buy it. That is unless you can do it without him throwing it in your face; and if you can be at peace with the fact that dad purchased it. With what you've shared, I just don't know if you want him attached to this precious thing you love so much. But maybe a gift card to a pet store for a year's supply of food ;)

The story. I had to put my cat Kaya to sleep a couple of years ago. I was so sad. Reebok, my cat of almost 18 years now, was suddenly alone. Granted she could care less, she's not the "socialble" type. Eventhough I think she liked having company even if she denies it :) ANyway, a couple of months after Kaya passed, and some of the pain subsided, another cat came into my life.

Chester was the cat of my apartment manage who sadly committed suicide. Chester was being fed by a neighbor because we thought the manager was just out of town. It took 3 weeks before we learned he had passed. At that time the city confiscated both cats. I had met Chester a couple of times and thought he was amazing. So I immediately went to the pound. Put a hold on him so that I could adopt him after next of kin were notified. (Manager's kin that is). Oddly (and this is how I KNOW Chester was meant to come home with me), when I went to officially adopt him and they scanned his microchip, we discovered that Chester's original name (Manager was already his second owner) was KIA. That is just eerily close to my Kaya.

Timing is everything.

7:02 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home