Wednesday, December 14, 2005

WHEW

Today was pretty tough to get through because I knew that I would be taking Zeke to the vet tonight. The only saving grace was that my man emailed me and called me several times throughout the day to cheer me up and to offer his support. It was very sweet. And all of your kind words helped me through the day as well.

So my man called me a few times and kept asking me to call him as soon as my appointment was over, I promised I would, but he called twice, once while I was on my way there and while I was still at the vet's office. I asked him why he didn't wait for my call and he said he was too worried and he would call me again later.

So here it is, my dog is 10 years old and given his crippled neurological condition he has had a very full life. Unfortunately, he is not doing well. He is now 69lbs. He is losing muscle mass, his muscles in his back legs have atrophied from non use. He is losing bladder control. However, if he did not have this neurological problem, he would probably live another 5-10 years because he is healthy as a horse otherwise.

My vet was just as teary eyed as I was when I asked her how much longer he has left. She is treating him with steroids which she is hoping will help him gain weight. If the steroids don't work, he doesn't have much longer. If they do work, he will have awhile longer.

So my man calls me while I'm still in the office and I explain all of this to him, he had already made me promise that I wouldn't put Zeke down until he got to see him one last time. After I told him everything he told me that when the time comes he will go with me and stuff. I told him that will probably be the sweetest thing that he or anyone has ever said to me or will ever say to me. He's coming over this weekend and he told me that we'll have some fun and get my mind off of this.

I don't think my mind will ever really let go of this. To those of you have lost pets my heart goes out to you. I agree with LB, they should live as long as we do, it's just not fair.

6 Comments:

Blogger marty said...

I can fully understand your attachment to Zeke, Leave. No explanation is necessary.

Life isn't fair sometimes and you have to carry on. Been there, done that, unfortunately.

8:18 PM

 
Blogger LisaBinDaCity said...

I'm so sorry about Zeke honey. It's beyond horrific to watch a beloved dog suffer. And they want you to fix it and you can't despite your superhuman efforts.

My love and prayers to you both.

IT IS NOT FAIR.

7:16 AM

 
Blogger se7en said...

Losing an awesome companion like that is a heavy blow. I've had dogs all my life and loved each and everyone like they were my child. Losing them never gets easier, getting another one though is a good way to help yourself feel better.

Maybe Zeke will get to meet my last 2 dobies when his time comes, I'm sure they will have a lot of fun together!

11:46 AM

 
Blogger Leave It To Cleavage said...

Thank you all so much for your kind words and well wishes. They do mean alot to me and thank you newcomers for stopping by!! I'm keeping my chin up and trying to be positive and I signed him up for acupuncture as well. Seven, those dogs were beautiful.

5:15 PM

 
Blogger Rommel said...

Hi-I found you via LisaB, and my heart goes out to you and your Zeke. Been there, done that-I have an idea that maybe your vet suggested. Since he is in otherwise good shape, there is a dogfood called avoderm that is made with avacados that we used to have to feel our Airedales(eastern Washington does terrible things to a terriers skin, let me tell ya!), and one of the biproducts was that Oliver would gain weight. Avacados have all that fat, and it works the same with dogs as it does with humans(look at me and tell me that I didn't find that out at one point), so as his kidneys are functioning well, this might help the processes.

I understand far too well what you are going through-my kids/stepkids are about 1400 lbs, and we have had 2 that we have almost lost. Our mare had gastric colic, and one of our geldings that my GF and mother sold had to be repoe'd(300 lbs underweight in 1 MONTH, untreated wounds, the whole lot), so I know what it is like-they are like kids, and should be loved as such.

Take care, and I will be back to read here again-feel free to visit my house!

11:41 PM

 
Blogger glo said...

Darlin, been there done that, and my heart and so much more goes out to you. I wish I had words of wisdom, but only time (in each stage), knowing you've been/are a great mom and that you've always and continue to do all you can, and the support of others will see you through it all.

5:55 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home