Tuesday, January 03, 2006

A Big Sigh of Relief

Unfortunately, today was another rough day, but with a happy ending. My beloved Zeke (yes that's him) went in for emergency surgery today. He had bandages stuck in his stomach, his intestines and obstructing him bowels.

As his doggy momma, I knew that something was wrong. I was told by his acupuncture doctor that it was a wait and see game. I insisted that they check into it, she told me no. I went to two of the technicians who absolutely love him and I expressed my concerns and they jumped on the bandwagon and offered me x-rays and I signed the waiver. Next thing you know they're asking me if I want to put him through surgery or put him to sleep.

This was one of the most difficult decisions that I have made to date. Something in my heart of hearts told me that his time wasn't up. I opted for surgery. They explained to me that they had to go into his intestines and that carried a high mortality rate for healthy dogs. I still opted for surgery.

I spoke to the vet an hour ago and he came through the surgery just fine and he's resting comfortably. They're giving him fluids and he will probably spend a few days in the hospital. That dog is some fighter. His acupuncture doctor told me to put him to sleep a year and a half ago. Today she said, "Well Zeke, you made it to 2006, are you going to make it to 2007?" I think that he will. I don't know if I will make it. Today was very hard on me. Until I heard the words, "He made it through surgery and he's doing well," I didn't stop crying or being sick to my stomach. I'm exhausted.

Sorry for the downer post, but like I said, it has a happy ending. I can't wait to visit him in the hospital. That's how much they love him there, they let me come in and just sit with him while they work around me. And that's how much I love him, I just go and sit on the floor of the vet's office so I can talk to him and scratch his ears.

6 Comments:

Blogger LisaBinDaCity said...

YAY for Zeke!!!! And YAY for you! Breathe Miss Leave, BREATHE. I am so pleased for you both. Hopefully Zeke will feel much better now.

Way to start 2006 right my friend!

3:52 PM

 
Blogger marty said...

Congrats, Leave. Glad the news is good.

4:40 PM

 
Blogger Tamara said...

WHOOOOOPIE. I'm super happy! You have no idea. As far as the accupuncture doctor...do you still trust and like her since she gave you bad advice, what sounds like two times now.

Either way, scratch Zeke's keppela and tuchus for me. :)

9:41 PM

 
Blogger glo said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:58 AM

 
Blogger glo said...

YAY !!!!!!!!! Good news !!! I'm so happy for Zeke and his doggy momma xo

6:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work » » »

12:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home