Thursday, February 01, 2007

Not For the Faint of Heart

LB, you may not want to read this post, in fact any animal love may not want to. But I have to write about it and get it off my chest.

Monday night I took the dogs out for their final walk at 9:30 p.m. The people who live directly across the street from me have a beagle. This dog is neglected and is often times running loose in my neighborhood. I live on a very busy street for my area. Anyway, back to the story.

I'm walking my dogs and this beagle comes running across the road and is barking and growling at us. Yep, you guessed it, he's loose. I put the dogs in the foyer of my building and I go back outside to try and catch the dog. The dog is not social or nice. It came after me with its teeth out and growling. I went back inside. The dog was barking and growling and I honestly thought that my dumb ass neighbors would hear the dog and would come get him.

11 p.m. rolls around and the dog is still out there barking and running around. Now I'm thinking, someone has to hear him and bring him inside. Then the barking stops and I say, whew, finally. My wonderful dogs wake me up at 4 a.m. to go out. We go outside and we mind our own business when suddenly, the beagle comes tearing out of nowhere barking and growling at us. We go back inside and now I'm very angry that this dog has been out all night long.

At 8 a.m. I took the dogs outside for their final walk before I leave for work. I go outside and the dog is still out there. I take my dogs back inside. I bring some cookies outside. I'm trying to lure the dog. He is still growling at me. I throw the cookies at him. I go over and knock on the people's door. No answer. I check on the dog, he is now burrowed in the dirt shivering and shaking and eating leaves. I am really burning up now. I call the police. They put me through to Animal Control, I get an answering machine. I call back and ask for a person. I tell them that someone has to come out here and help this dog. I call my boss and tell him that I am going to be late because I need to stand outside until the cops come and make sure that this dog does not get hit by a car. My boss tells me he's angry, but not at me. Everyone that I work with, all 5 of them, have dogs and are huge animal lovers.

The cops come and the cop really bangs on the door and after 3 minutes, someone opens the door. The dog sees the door open and runs inside. The cop goes inside as well. I left for work. Before I left, I made sure that the guy saw me. I hope he knows that I called the cops and that I will again and again if I see that dog being mistreated.

I get to work and my toes are numb and my fingers are numb as well from standing outside for an hour waiting for the cops.

I hope my dogs know just how good they've got it.

4 Comments:

Blogger DutchBitch said...

Some people should not be allowed to have pets if they don't friggin' take care of them!

You are so great!

12:37 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have done the exact same thing, Leave. That type of thing makes me crazy. Poor dog. Shame on your neighbors.

You're a good and kind person, Sweetie.

6:00 AM

 
Blogger glo said...

How sad and sick ... I hope this is no indication of how they do/would take care of their (human) children.

You're a good heart :)

7:17 AM

 
Blogger marty said...

Your neighbors should be neutered.

8:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home